Monday, December 12, 2011

Jeepney Ettiquette

I had a long list of things I wanted to tell you about but certain circumstances leave me unable to retrieve that list at the moment.

First off, I love you all so very much and am feeling a little homesick. But it is okay. I can get through it.

I sent a letter home maybe Tuesday or Wednesday last week. Let me know when you receive it and if you receive it intact. I cant wait to see what you sent me for Christmas. I am eagerly awaiting it. Whatever it is, I will love it because it is from my family.

So, when you get on a Jeepney it costs a certain amount of money to go certain distances or certain places. I think the way we pay is interesting because in a crowded Jeepney you hold out your money and say, "Paki-abot po," which is to say, "Please pass sir/ma'am" and then some random person will reach out and pass your money up to the driver through everyone’s hands, and if you sent up a big bill, your change will be passed back to you. It makes me think how well that would work in America. The first person to touch it would probably pocket it. Its especially interesting considering how poor all the people in the Philippines are, and the thought of keeping that money doesn’t even seem to cross their mind.
Just a thought I had.

To answer some of your questions: We didn’t get a chance to visit the temple in Manila, just as we started walking over there, they stopped us and told us to grab our stuff because we were leaving for Cauayan.  It’s okay though. It was a very pretty temple.  The Mission home is very nice. Our house is not that nice. I didn’t get a chance to rest that first day.  It’s only about 89 degrees here, and I’m in the coolest part of the mission. Elder Deriada is always complaining about how hot it is. Yes, there is always a constant layer of water coating your body, whether from rain or sweat or just the humidity, it doesn’t really matter. I got some cheap handkerchiefs just for wiping down, thank you for thinking of it.  I haven’t done much shopping just yet, but its been kind of hectic. I’m sorry I don’t have an address for our house.   We try to teach 7-8 lessons a day, or we just go around talking to people. It’s difficult not understanding them.

I’m on splits right now with Elder Hayden Lein.  He’s one of our zone leaders and he ships back home to Boise, Idaho in 2.5 months. He doesn’t know whether to be excited or not.  Great kid.

I’m sorry I didn’t say too much to share with the world. I love you all. next week I'll try to get everything in I had planned to say. I Miss you all and love you all so very much. Good luck back home.


Mahal Kita, 
Elder Allen

(Pictures are borrowed from Sister Carlos' blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment